Volunteer Sign up Powerpoint file: AIAA_Support_for_SMD_Conf_2021.ppt
The Greater Huntsville Section plans to staff a booth this year at the Space & Missile Defense Symposium, Huntsville’s premier defense conference. The symposium will take place August 10 – 12 at the Von Braun Center, with setup prior to the event. I have attended this symposium and highly recommend it as a networking event and an opportunity to learn about ongoing work in the space and defense communities.
We need your help to make our participation even more successful than in past years. We will need 2 members, at minimum, to staff our table throughout the symposium. We’ve divided the duration of the symposium exhibit into approximately 2 ½ -3 hour shifts to minimize the time commitment and allow more members the opportunity to participate. We are seeking volunteers to set up (anticipated to take place on Sunday, August 9th from 12 PM to 3 PM), staff the booth during the week (T-W shifts are 8:45 AM -11:30 AM, 11:30 AM to 2:15 PM, and 2:15 to 5 PM; R 8:45 AM – 12 PM), and disassemble the display (R 12 PM to 2 PM).
Besides helping the section and the institute, why should you volunteer? Here are the Top Ten reasons you should be a part of the symposium:
- You will receive FREE admission to the Exhibit Hall for the entire week, not just your shift. You can wander the exhibits before or after or on any day you wish. You’ll have access to the same displays and exhibits as the paid symposium attendees, including the Tuesday night reception.
- You will have FREE access to dozens of Huntsville area contractors and government agencies, some that you may not interact with in your day job. You’ll be able to network and learn about their products and services.
- If you are looking for new job opportunities, bring your business cards and resumes.
- You will go home with a bag full of FREE toys, trinkets and SWAG for yourself, your family, or others.
- Even if you don’t work in the defense industry, there is something for you. You can attend for FREE without requiring your employer to pay for your registration. You’ll be surprised at the number of exhibitors that will have products or services with non-defense applications also. Volunteer and find out for yourself. Bring that information back to your company or organization.
- You’ll gain an edge by learning new things outside your normal job scope -- this information is not available to those who don’t participate.
- You’ll make new friends and contacts within the industry at large and meet people you wouldn’t meet in your normal duties.
- You’ll gain a better understanding of AIAA activities and services and how they can help in your professional development.
- All Volunteers will be entered into a drawing for FREE lunch at a section luncheon seminar.
- Your Greater Huntsville Section leaders and colleagues will be incredibly grateful for your support!
Please volunteer a few hours of your time to support this great event. If you are able to volunteer, then please select the time (or times) that you want on this Doodle link by Friday, 7/30. You can also respond to me directly (email@example.com) with your interest and ability to volunteer for a specific shift. You can also download the Powerpoint file available at the top that contains the booth location and times/opportunities. You do not need any experience to support this event – we will provide a volunteers’ guide and coordinate further with you on participation.
If you have any questions, please forward them to Tracie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vice Chair, AIAA Greater Huntsville Section