Meeting Minutes For: AIAA Cape Canaveral Executive Council Members
January 24th, 2019 Council Meeting Agenda, 7:00pm to 8:00pm
Council Members in Attendance
Chairman: Matthew Zuk
Vice Chairman: Rachel Mocini
Secretary: Holly Petrucci
Treasurer: Taylor Dacko
Education Officer: Dr. Dave Fleming
STEM K-12 Officer: Taylor Fazzini
Public Policy Officer: Sharif Abdel-Magid
Career and Workforce Development Officer: Naveen Sri Uddanti
Young Professional Officer: Elizabeth Balga
Start: 7:03 pm
- December 19, 2018 Meeting Minutes will be reviewed and approved electronically to give more time for feedback.
- January 2019 Treasurer’s will be reviewed and approved electronically.
- FIT Dinner Meeting
- Student branch using PayPal for dinner meeting.
- Matt will provide update needed for final numbers to caterer.
- Guest Speaker, Greg Maholic (sp). Interstellar Travel.
- Dinner Monday 5:30pm.
- Find the link on the AIAA website.
- Encourage people to attend. Hartley room.
- Find the map on the FIT website.
- Dave Fleming P.O.C.
- Brevard Regional Science Fairs
- Taylor Fazzini, K-12.
- Need people to volunteer.
- First fair Saturday Feb 2nd, Merritt Island. Feb 9, Merritt Island. Final one is the Feb. 23rd in Melbourne. (Dr. Fleming)
- Need judges., Matt is sending out email to solicit more judges.
- Word to the judges – need full student name to send proper invitation out and/scholarship check out.
- Each scholarship is $200.00.
- Divine Mercy Space Day
- Held on Feb 14th. Thursday.
- AIAA Cape Canaveral supporting, “Reach for the Stars” rocket competition.
- Volunteers are needed to help judge this event.
- Doug Moore will be running the competition.
- 54 students. Each student launches twice. 3 launch beds set up. Measure from a pin in the middle of the field to the launch vehicle. Must be within 50 feet of pin to qualify for Nationals in both rounds.
- National winning student goes to Huntsville, Alabama for Space Camp.
- To know more about the space day event, link on the engage website.
- Parents volunteered.
- YP Symposium
- Elizabeth – coordinating with YP’s to figure out an agenda, timeline to form a symposium/development day.
- Late July early August.
- Reference the section officers community - library, to form a committee.
- Define it for our section. Verify policy and procedure – example given. Locate support under YP chairman/officer role.
- Brainstorm a way to solicit representation from a few more companies. Soliciting donations/sponsorship.
- Elizabeth-Email then add them to an informal committee.
- NOTE: Student Conference in April
- Key note speaker. Send out a survey to solicit topics that YPs should be learning for a value-added event. Naveen tag up with Elizabeth.
- Naveen have anything please send to Elizabeth or Matt.
- Spring Dinner Planning
- Planning stage. Award type banquet to applaud our science fair recipients. (brain storming). Soliciting a point person to execute this event.
- Programs director: Dennis. May, 2019 time frame.
- Section Awards Rubric
- New format for Cat 1 money we receive.
- Supposed to be more transparent for our grading system and take the place for our annual report to include the section award.
- Minimum tabs 1, 1a, 2, and 2a. rest of tabs are used for individual awards. Color codes – red mandatory.
- Matt - put on google drive then send out link to share with team members.
- Student Branch, Dr Fleming and Matt team up on this one.
- Every committee person submit a draft and have it populated by next council meeting.
- Next council meeting each officer can give their draft update on the section awards rubric.
- New bylaws template. New governance model.
- The council gave thumbs up.
- The Region had no input. (generic - we are supposed to populate them section specific).
- Example: Council has the power to set voting time lines.
- Nominating committee will be initiated next council meeting.
- Committee Reports
- Contacts for student conference, requesting speakers setting & up tours. Rachel P.O.C. for the base. Dr. Fleming has contacts for Rachel.
- Rachel has admin, table, table cloth.
- YP N/A
- Wednesday March 20th, 2019 is Congressional Visit Day.
- Registration is free.
- People on council follow up with Sharif start setting up meeting up in DC.
- Travel subsidy apps are due 1 FEB.
- Matt to Sharif: State need for subsidy.
- Taylor Fazzini
- Email from k-12 national director educator of the year award.
- Heard podcast: challenger lessons.
- All experiments and lesson plans looking onto working with local schools and ERAU teachers for a ‘reach and teach’ space school lesson plan.
- Fleming: talked about the dinner meeting – please register.
- Student conference- 2 student branches are meeting in Cocoa Beach this week.
- Planning for tour.
- Suggestions for sponsorship package needed for Dr. Dave.
- Trying to locate Delaware North for processing the people on to the base (KSC).
- April time frame. 2 categories – review papers and other judges to be on site.
- Matt reached out to Blue Origin for a tour - Matt will reach out again.
- Naveen - serving remotely from Boston. Have further updates in the coming weeks. Ideas - funding events. Invest some of the money $200-$300 a month using for scholarship purposes. Matt: chapter does not have operating funds to support.
- Taylor D. -1099 issue. Jim as a speaker. $1000. Honorarium.
- Considered an employee/employer relationship. Hitting a deadline.
- Taylor - Having an issue getting in touch with Jim.
- Taylor F. Next Gen propose strategy to learn more about AIAA for nonmembers
- Reach out to former college friends - survey.
- Matt - email the link out to send out to professional network
End meeting: 8:04 pm.