Fifty years have passed since hundreds of engineers put together the Apollo program that took us to the Moon. AIAA GHS salutes all those engineers who were part of that history and all those engineers who are currently making history. In this moment of pride for everything achieved over the last 50 years, we look forward to the next 50 years and the achievements which will inspire the next generation of aerospace professionals.
To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11, the AIAA Greater Huntsville Section proudly announces the following events:
1) AIAA GHS to participate in UAH M. Louis Salmon Library Special Collections and Archives Apollo 50th Open House on July 14th
The UAH M. Louis Salmon Library Archives and Special Collections invites the community to enjoy an afternoon of Apollo history from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m on Sunday, July 14. The event is free and open to the public. AIAA members are requested to RSVP at email@example.com if you would like to join the section as a group and visit the open house. For details about the open house, click here.
2) Volunteer and observe the 5000 Rocket Launch Guinness Book Record at USSRC on July 16th:
Support the USSRC on the day of the rocket launch. Volunteers are needed to help setup the rocket launch from 5 am - 9 am on July 16th. Volunteers are guaranteed to get special reserved seating to view the launch. Please mention 'Representing AIAA GHS' in the comments box while signing up so AIAA members can volunteer together. For more information and/or for sign up, click here.
3) Paint Night with Spirited Art on July 16th - AIAA GHS Next Gen Technical Symposium Fundraiser!
Paint for a purpose on July 16th at Spirited Art, Huntsville, and give back to AIAA Next Gen Technical Symposium. Pricing per participant is $35 only and $10 for every seat sold is donated to the symposium. For more information and tickets, click here !
4) AIAA Mobile Chapter Apollo 11 Anniversary Celebration at the Exploreum on July 20th
The Mobile Chapter of AIAA is kicking off with a Celebration of the Apollo 11 Anniversary at the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center on Saturday, July 20th from 10 am – 1 pm. Join the chapter members in rocket build sessions, demonstrations, rocket launches and fun. For more details, click here.
5) AIAA GHS is featured non-profit at USSRC Biergarten on July 25th
The AIAA GHS is the featured charity in the USSRC's 7th Annual German Biergarten Stein and Dine on July 25, 2019 between 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. A portion of food sales that evening will be donated to the Section. For more details, click here.
6) AIAA GHS co-sponsors the PASS THE TORCH Lecture 'HOW APOLLO 8 WON THE 1960s SPACE RACE AND CHANGED THE WORLD' at USSRC during Biergarten on July 25th
Please join us in the National Geographic Theater on Thursday, July 25, at 6:00 p.m., in conjunction with our German Biergarten, to hear the compelling story of Apollo 8 by Mr. Robert Zimmerman, award-winning science journalist and historian. For more details, click here.
7) AIAA GHS July Luncheon with Bobby Watkins, Director, NASA Human Exploration Development & Operations Office, on July 23
As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Moon Landing and the past 50 years of accomplishments, we invite you to join us to hear Mr. Watkin's presentation on the next 50 years of human effort to the Moon, Mars & Beyond. For lunch tickets, RSVP & more information, click here.
8) AIAA Mobile Chapter Social & Dinner on July 25th
The AIAA Mobile Chapter will meet for its first Social Dinner at Moe's BBQ Downtown Mobile on Thursday, July 25 at 5:00 pm – until. Please join us for dinner, friendly banter and a chapter group photo! Everyone is welcome - members, guests and kids. For more details, click here.
Please join us in this month's activities as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 & Moon Landing.