To commemorate the anniversary of the Wright Brothers' first flight and the birth of our industry, the Greater Huntsville Section is sponsoring a contest with the following theme and categories:
THEME: Today, all of our lives have been impacted by the development of aviation. The Wright Brothers were key to this development by successfully manipulating the forces of flight and starting us on the journey to modern day aviation.
- Category A: Contestants between the ages 12-17 shall submit an essay on the 4 forces of flight and how the Wright brothers addressed them, and write about one aspect of modern day aviation that interests you (examples: aircraft (any type) design, control tower operations, aircraft propulsion, etc.)
- Category B: Contestants ages 11 and below shall submit a drawing depicting aircraft or rocket propulsion as well as space applications.
WHO CAN ENTER: Anyone in the age ranges listed above residing in the area served by the Greater Huntsville Section. See Page 2 of the Entry Form for a full listing of counties.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Produce an original essay (Category A) or drawing (Category B) on the theme listed below.
- Follow the essay and drawing criteria on the Entry Form.
- The essay may contain images and diagrams, correctly cited, along with original graphics and artwork. A drawing could be black and white or color, but it should be drawn by hand using paper, pencil, color pencils, water color, oil paint, markers, or crayons. A coherent message to address the theme is essential.
- Email your essay or drawing (gif or jpeg) and the Entry Form to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 PM CST on Friday, November 18th, 2022.
JUDGING: A panel of judges comprised of Greater Huntsville Section members will review and evaluate the essays. The contestant receiving the highest score according to the criteria attached will be the winner.
DEADLINE: The completed Entry Form with the Word or .pdf file containing the essay must be received at email@example.com no later than 11:59 pm CST on November 18th.
Category A: The essay contest winner will be awarded $100 and a trophy.
Category B: The drawing contest winner will be awarded $100 and a trophy. All drawings will be featured on the AIAA GHS website, social media, and/or newsletter.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS: The winners in both categories will be announced on December 17, the anniversary of the Wright Brothers first controlled powered flight.
Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Looking forward to everyone's submissions!
Pre-College Outreach Director
AIAA Greater Huntsville Section