AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF AERONAUTICS AND ASTRONAUTICS
HAMPTON ROADS SECTION
"FUTURES IN AEROSPACE" SCHOLARSHIP
Deadline: March 20, 2023
The Hampton Roads Section awards at least two "Futures in Aerospace" Scholarships to outstanding high school seniors who intend to pursue a curriculum in engineering or the physical or applied sciences pertinent to aerospace.
An applicant must be either a dependent of a member of the Hampton Roads Section of the AIAA (irrespective of domicile), or a resident of the counties or cities comprising the AIAA Hampton Roads Section listed below:
- Eligible Counties: Accomack, Amelia, Brunswick, Charles City, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Gloucester, Goochland, Greensville, Hanover, Henrico, Isle of Wight, James City, King and Queen, King William, Lancaster, Lunenburg, Mathews, Mecklenburg, Middlesex, New Kent, Northampton, Northumberland, Nottoway, Powhatan, Prince Edward, Prince George, Southampton, Surry, Sussex and York;
- Eligible Cities: Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Richmond, Suffolk, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg
The Selection Committee will determine the winners of the scholarships on the basis of the following items:
- An essay, no more than 1200 words, on the proposed area of study in engineering, physical science, or applied science and its relation to aerospace. The motivation for the choice, any special interests, and expected accomplishments should be stated.
- Scholastic achievement as determined by high school grade point average (converted to a scale 0.0 to 4.0)
- A letter of recommendation by a high school faculty member with personal classroom knowledge of the applicant's abilities.
- Potential for leadership as indicated by the applicant's record of extracurricular activities.
- Optionally scores on the Scholastic Aptitude or other college entrance tests may be included
PDF application forms are available here.
Applications may be submitted online via a Google Form at: https://tinyurl.com/AIAAHRS2023Scholarship